Talk to us

The law considers cancer to be a disability. This means that if you have been diagnosed with cancer, there are laws to protect you from discrimination at work.

If you are living with cancer you may also be entitled to benefits and financial support such as:

  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) — is a benefit for people under State Pension age who cannot work because of illness or disability.
  • Universal Credit — a benefit for people on low income if they are under State Pension.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) — this benefit is for people aged between 16 and 64 who have problems moving around and looking after themselves.

You can talk to one of our Work Support Advisers to help you understand your rights at work. They can also offer advice on how to talk to your employer about reasonable adjustments at work.

You can contact our Work Support Service by:

Connect with others in the Online Community

If you would like to chat online with people going through a similar experience, you can join our Online Community.

Health professionals, trained volunteers and Macmillan staff in the Online Community can give you advice and tips to help you.

You can also:

Information and resources

Related Stories & Media

Government schemes

Find out more about the help available from the government if cancer has impacted your ability to work.